Sunday, January 9, 2011

Not-So-Red Beans & Rice

(It's really hard to get a good picture of beans and rice)


I had Red Beans & Rice on the menu for today, but decided to use pinto beans instead of red beans. I think they're a little softer. And, I decided to use the crockpot. I love my crockpot. Stick everything in in the morning and you have a delicious meal in the evening. Couldn't be easier. And then there's also less excuses to go out to eat. :)

There are some theories on whether or not you should soak the beans overnight before putting them in the crockpot. I would've soaked my beans...but I just forgot to do it last night. They cooked fine without soaking them. I've read that the soaking process is supposed to take out some of the...um...gas factor.

SLOW COOKER RED BEANS & RICE

(recipe adapted from Tasty Kitchen)

1 lb. dried beans (red or pinto)
7 cups water
1 bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
1 lb. andouille sausage (or kielbasa or smoked sausage), sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 Tbsp. creole seasoning
Cooked rice, to serve over

Add all ingredients, except rice, into slow cooker. Cook on high for 7 hours or low for 12 hours (I cooked mine on low for 7 hours and then on high for 2 hours, just to make sure the beans got soft enough). About 1/2 hour before serving, smash up some of the beans in the slow cooker.
Serve over hot rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment